Monday, January 8, 2018

Life Verse

What is your life verse?
Last year for Christmas our kids received life verse journals. Each page of the journal has a different bible verse and then a coloring page. The journal also has activities that go along with that verse that help explain the meaning of the verse. For example, they can choose to color the page and verse with Matthew 5:16, “in the same way let your light shine before men so that others may see your good deeds and glorify your father in heaven.” Then we discuss what it means to let our light shine before others and we list ways we can do this in their journal. As we started the new year, I had them pick out a verse that I can pray over them as they begin their new year. I take their journals into the kitchen and before they start their day I pray over them using that specific scripture. I don’t always have the words to say and I don’t always feel like God is listening. However, God’s Word does not change based on my feelings or mood and whether I feel a certain way or not, He IS listening! When I need to be reminded of God‘s protective shield over our families lives, I pray Psalms 91:4, "He covers you with His feathers you will take refuge under His wings His faithfulness will be protective shield.” When I feel alone I pray Psalm 56:3, “when I am afraid I will trust in you.” When I feel discouraged or worried I pray Philippians 4:6, "don’t worry about anything but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving let your request be known to God.” When I pray for the fruit of the Spirit to be reflected in my children’s lives in my life, I pray 1 Timothy 4:12 “ don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young but be in example for the believers in speech and conduct in love in faith and in purity.”  When I need to be reminded of God‘s strength and power I pray, Psalm 93:4, “ mightier than the thunders of many waters, mightier than the waves of the sea, the Lord on high is mighty.” I thought for a long time that I was inadequate with the words I spoke and the way I prayed aloud. Prayer is conversation with God. I begin my prayer in the morning when I wake up and I say amen when I put my head on my pillow. It is a constant conversation with the Creator of the universe and maker of you and me. In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 it tells us to “pray without ceasing.” Ceasing means never stopping...lifting every detail up to our Father. I recently bought a shirt that says you’re in the details and I wear it A LOT to remind myself and others that God is in the details of our lives. I challenge you as we begin this new year to find a life verse for yourself and for your family members. Pray it over them and pray it over you remembering He is in the details! My prayer for you is to know Him more intimately this year than the last!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Do You Fight Your Battles?

How do you fight your battles?     So I have to tell you about something super cool that happened to me a few weeks ago. But first I ...