Tuesday, May 30, 2017

My Tattoo... An Explanation

 " My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in your weakness. Therefore I will gladly boast about my weaknesses so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

     I read something recently by one of my heroes, Joni Erickson Tada, where she said her wheelchair is her pulpit. She is not her wheelchair but she uses her suffering and her circumstances to preach the gospel and tell others about Jesus. MS is my pulpit. It does not define me and it is not who I am however it is a circumstance that my family has been given and I want to use it as my pulpit. 
    So I got a tattoo as one of my birthday presents. I've wanted one for quite a while but was unsure what to get, and well it's kind of permanent:). I decided on the word  grace. Grace is defined as the free and the unmerited favor of God manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings. Grace also means to honor or give credit to someone or something by one's presence. 
   There are three reasons I chose  the word grace. In Ephesians 2:8-9 the Bible says, "for by grace you have been saved through faith, not of yourself. It is a gift from God not by works so that no one should boast." When I see the word grace on my wrist I am reminded of what Jesus did for me and for you. I am reminded that salvation is not going to be taken away from me. It is a gift not anything I need to do but accept it.
    When I look at my wrist and the word grace I am also reminded to give grace to others. There is so much I need help with and it is hard not to become bitter and take it out on others. I know that my family and friends are trying to help me and trust me I am grateful. However it is hard to accept so much help sometimes with a gracious heart. I want to fill out the paperwork for my children at school. I want to teach them to tie their shoes and run and play soccer instead of watch them. This is when I need to be reminded of the grace that has been given to me and show grace to others. Each person is the Imago dei, made in the image of Christ. Well there are many times I would gladly give this disease back, it is my pulpit and I am grateful.
   It is also hard to have grace for myself at that moment. I feel inadequate as their mother because I want to help them and I cannot. It is hard to have grace for myself and accept my limitations when I get in a downward spiral of discouragement. That is when I look at my wrist and remember the grace that is greater than all my sin and I am grateful. 





1 comment:

How Do You Fight Your Battles?

How do you fight your battles?     So I have to tell you about something super cool that happened to me a few weeks ago. But first I ...