Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Useful or Beautiful?

I’m so sorry it has taken me all summer to actually sit down and write. I have no excuse except life got busy, and I have three children that were home all the time:). 

It was a really fun summer and I love having the kids home but I’m also glad for a little structure and to be back in school!  During the summer, and also the school year, I try to get up early and spend some time with Jesus. It seems especially hard for me though, and maybe for you too, during the summer. It is hard for me to remember what God says about me and not let the circumstances of life and the devil get a foothold. That is why I have to spend time with Jesus to remember who I am and His specific promises to me!

I am a big fan of podcasts; I listen to them while I’m getting ready in the morning. While listening to one of the podcasts, a question was asked that caused me to stop and my mind to start reeling:

Do we need Jesus because He is USEFUL or do we need Jesus because we find Him BEAUTIFUL

Man I was so convicted! I spend time with Jesus because He encourages me, and I listen to podcasts many times to also encourage me. What can Jesus say to me? What can Jesus do for me to get me through the day? Do you see the common thread? It is all about me.

I am not saying that He is not there to encourage us and help us have a good day because He is!! In Psalms 27 it reminds us that the Lord is our light and salvation so why should I be afraid? It also reminds us that He is our fortress protecting us from danger so why should we tremble?  He does help us get through the day and hold our head up high! He does help us hold our head up high while reminding us that we are His children and that our salvation cannot be taken from us. 

I read several of the Psalms before writing today. Before the author goes into confession or asks “how can God help me,” the author praises Him for who He is. God IS beautiful! In Psalms 107:1 we are reminded to “give thanks to the Lord for He is good, His faithful love endures forever.” There are times I will make a list of the attributes of God and I start to pray over them reminding myself of His character...

God is:
Holy
Just
 Immutable (never changes)
Infinite
 Self-sufficient
 Omniscient (all-knowing)
 Omnipresent (everywhere)
 El Shaddai ( God Almighty)
Father
Love
 Merciful
Jehovah Rophe (The God who heals)
Jehovah Shalom (the God of peace)
Jehovah Jireh (the God who provides)
Our Comforter
 Our Intercessor

These are just a few of His attributes. God desires that we call upon His name because he made us for relationship. He does not desire a relationship where we ignore Him and only call upon His name when we need something. God doesn’t need us but He desires us. My prayer for you is that you will know God is our Father and that we are His children. I pray you seek Him and know that He deserves our worship and praise for He is our beautiful God.

“You’re Beautiful” by Shane and Shane 


“You say” by Lauren Daigle
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

How Do You Fight Your Battles?

How do you fight your battles?     So I have to tell you about something super cool that happened to me a few weeks ago. But first I ...