Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Only Jesus

Recently my husband and I had a doctor’s appointment that I really did not want to go to. I was dreading it! I didn’t feel like pretending it (everything) was OK. I didn’t feel like walking (rolling) in with a smile on my face. I knew those stark,white office walls of the would be cold and uninviting.  I can usually find something to be optimistic about in most situations. But this time was hard. Appointments and blood work are pretty common  now, but this appointment was different. Sometimes hearing the obvious about my condition is really hard. I feel discouraged. I start to feel defeated. 

About two days before the appointment I was listening to podcasts (I think I’m truly addicted to podcasts), and the pastor spoke about making Jesus famous. Now, I know about letting your light shine for Jesus. Not only do I say this to my kids almost every day, but our family Bible verse is Matthew 5:16: “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” However, through this pastor God reminded me ever so gently that these appointments are not about me. He reminded me that this life is not about me. It is about Him. Rolling into that doctor’s office with a smile on my face suddenly didn’t seem so hard because I realized it was not about the circumstances of my situation. The appointment became a “get to” and not a “have to” moment. I got the opportunity to be used by God with the receptionists, other patients, nurses, and doctors. Also, I got to go on a date with my husband (insert praise hands) and we got to go to Whole Foods,which is one of my favorite places :)

I’m not going to lie and say that I always let God change my attitude and become grateful. I don’t. I could pretend that I never question God, and I want to say I always trust Him, but I don’t. I know His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. But isn’t it so hard to see that God is sovereign when life seems out of control? Isn’t it so hard to see that God is good, and a good father, when you don’t understand? Maybe it is not for you, but it definitely is for me!! I do KNOW that we GET TO shine His kindness, love, grace, and mercy. My prayer for you is that you will see this life as more “get to” moments than “have to” moments, and make Jesus famous.

  
“You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Do You Fight Your Battles?

How do you fight your battles?     So I have to tell you about something super cool that happened to me a few weeks ago. But first I ...