Friday, January 11, 2019

"Find your tribe, Love them hard"

It’s a new year. A new year full of hope and promises. Life will be better next year. Maybe you have New Year’s resolutions. Maybe you don’t make New Year’s resolutions because in a few weeks they we will not be resolutions anymore. I personally don’t make New Year’s resolutions.  This year though I decided to try something new. A few people I know have a word for their year and it has always inspired me. So I decided to ask God for a word this year. I heard God laying two words on my heart for the year…I felt like God was telling me to TRUST. I feel Him repeating the word over and over through sermons and podcasts as well as through devotionals and discussions with friends.  The other word for my year is COURAGE. I took a quiz from the Christian company Dayspring and the quiz told me my word for the year was courage. The word courage does make sense. Life is getting harder and harder physically for me. My body seems like it’s getting weaker and more stiff every day. I told my husband last night that rolling over in bed was definitely something I took for granted. Life takes trust. It takes courage.  Some days I want to wallow, throwing myself a pity party. Some days I have to stand on my friends words and their belief in who God says I am. Do you have friends like that in your life? Friends that encourage and pour truth into your soul when you can’t seem to look up our focus on the truth instead of the lies?  Friends that can also tell you that hard things when you don’t want to hear them?  I am very blessed because God has brought me friends just like that in every city our family has lived.

Christmas time is over and our house is slowly getting back to normal chaos of life. Also, I love the tree and the lights decorating the house...but I also love when it is all packed up for next year. Don’t you feel a sense of relief when your last box is packed up?  I’ve also been taking down the Christmas cards or Thanksgiving cards or New Year’s cards (whichever holiday you might send us a card:)). I love looking at each family and thinking about the city where we met them and how God changed our lives through them. We take the cards and cut out the pictures and glue them on popsicle sticks. Each morning before school (or after depending on the craziness of the morning) each of us take a popsicle stick and pray for that family. It started out when my children were young and I read about a family prayer jar (www.happyhomefairy.com). We lived in Texas and our family is spread through different parts of the country. I wanted my children to know there extended family and so I found pictures on Facebook and we started the family prayer jar.  Each time we moved and I needed more and more help physically and we didn’t live near our immediate family. Our friends became our family too. I started to add pictures to the jar and now we just add the new Christmas cards every year.  It’s a fun thing to do with my family. Hopefully it shows my kids the importance of prayer for those we love in our lives. Each time we pull out a card we are reminded of God‘s provision and His great love for us. Our family is reminded of the body of Christ and how we all need each other. My prayer for you is that you will be reminded of many of the ways God has provided. Make a list and when you feel discouraged you can read it and remind yourself of God‘s great love for you. My prayer for you also is that you will find a friend who points you to Jesus.  When you do, you in turn, will be able to be this kind of friend to others.

“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.”
Ecclesiastes 4:9 ESV

“Counting Every Blessing” by Rend Collective

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Do You Fight Your Battles?

How do you fight your battles?     So I have to tell you about something super cool that happened to me a few weeks ago. But first I ...