Saturday, December 1, 2018

About a month ago...

...I had the privilege of going to a women’s event in Charlotte with two friends. While this was indeed an event for women, it was more than a women’s “event.”  Instead it was a powerful night of worship!  Instead of attending to get something out of it, women gathered and met Jesus in and through one another. It was a night when women came together to celebrate God’s goodness in their lives as well as stand with one another in our pain and strongholds. We linked arms, cried, and we prayed together. This was an evening where age, race, and denominational differences were irrelevant. We were there to worship Jesus Christ and that was what mattered! It was a truly beautiful taste of heaven!  One of the questions asked was about the baggage we so needlessly carry around. Why do we carry around our baggage when Christ has set us free? I realize that even though I know Christ has set me free (and I even proclaim it), I still carry around needless baggage. Do I really believe that the loneliness I feel or the approval of others has been taken away? Do I believe what I proclaim to others? Confession: I struggle with loneliness. I struggle with feelings of inadequacy. I let Satan have a good time with my thoughts and feelings and suddenly I am having a pity party. I also struggle with the approval of others. It is a constant battle to say my approval comes from God alone and not from others and believe it. I want people to like me. I mean, I was voted most courteous in high school. Being this honest IS hard. Being vulnerable IS hard. However I want to show my deep need for Jesus. I am HIS beloved and so are you. We were created with a need for HIM alone that only His presence in our life can fill.

We are God’s beloved. I’ve heard the verse John 3:16 for most of my life. It’s one of the first Bible verses that I learned as a child. I can repeat it quite well but do I really believe it? I love what it says in the message version of John 3:16: 

“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. 
And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; 
by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” 

God did not have to do it but He sent his only son because He loves us. We are His dearly loved children. So we ARE free. We are free from loneliness. We are free from inadequacy and the approval of others. I could list so many more things we are free from and I bet you could too. Right now think of the baggage that I am carrying around or the baggage you might not even realize that you are carrying around and guess what? I AM FREE. YOU ARE FREE!!! My prayer for you and for me is that we will live in the freedom that Christ gave us and proclaim that truth over our lives every day!

“Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” John 7:38 ESV

“ Who You say I am”’ By: Hillsong Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment

How Do You Fight Your Battles?

How do you fight your battles?     So I have to tell you about something super cool that happened to me a few weeks ago. But first I ...